The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) civil society panel was established by the Conference of the Parties (COP) in 2011 to bring together the civil society community involved in the Convention.
The five members from each of 5 regional groupings of the nations of the world, democratically elected by the observer organizations for a two year-period, have been mandated to liaise with their constituencies and bring the voices of the civil society to the negotiations of the convention, to facilitate the coordination among the accredited CSOs and to ensure an efficient communication on issues related to desertification, land degradation and drought.
Current CSO Panel members are:
- Mr. Tcharbuahbokengo NFINN from FEEDAR&HR (Cameroon) representing Africa
- Ms. Nahid Naghizadeh from CENESTA (Iran) representing Asia
- Mr. Pablo Andres Motta Delgado from Mision Verde Amazonia (Colombia) representing Latin America and the Caribbean
- Ms. Sabina Gasimova from IDEA (Azerbaijan) representing Eastern Europe
- Ms. Manon Albagnac from CARI (France) representing Western Europe
History of the CSOs participation to the UNCCD